Are you passionate about the energy transition? Join us.
Nel is a global, dedicated hydrogen company, delivering optimal solutions to produce, store, and distribute hydrogen from renewable energy. We serve a range of different customers with leading hydrogen technologies. Our roots date back to 1927, and since then, we have had a proud history of development and continuous improvement of hydrogen technologies. Today, our solutions cover the entire value chain: from hydrogen production technologies to hydrogen fueling stations, enabling industries to transition to green hydrogen, and providing fuel cell electric vehicles with the same fast fueling and long range as fossil-fueled vehicles – without the emissions.
About the position
Serve as the process lead on R&D projects, contributing process knowledge for optimal translation of laboratory formulations to industrial coatings and material processes. · Act as a liaison between R&D, quality, and manufacturing to implement developed processes into commercial production.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Work closely with Materials Scientists and Chemical Engineers to develop advanced manufacturing processes to enable electrolyser cost reduction and efficiency improvements.
- Collaborate with external partners at National Labs, universities, and component suppliers to develop and characterize components.
- Apply engineering fundamentals to practical problem solving and develop and optimize robust component specifications to meet product requirements.
- Solve any engineering challenges encountered related to chemical and material aspects of design and manufacturing process of roll-to-roll coatings to achieve the precision and lifetime performance for the resulting electrodes.
- Understand and link process effects to component performance.
- Manage production runs with new products and optimize process to achieve product quality requirements and maximum production throughput.
- Establish and maintain documented work instructions in collaboration with Manufacturing Engineers for process optimization and control standards.
- Clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing technical activities to the team, project management and senior management.
- Support training efforts on the science behind the process.
- Keep up to date with current and developing trends in coating industry.
- Identify key opportunities for improvement based on data analysis.
- Special projects as required.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or similar technical field.
- 5 to 10 years of related manufacturing.
- Background and experience in thin film coating of wide substrates.
- General understanding of manufacturing methods including a basic understanding of manufacturing process optimization.
- Experience working with various coating deposition equipment (e.g., gravure, slot die, reverse gravure, ultrasonic spray, PVD, CVD etc.).
- Knowledge of material and mechanical properties of coatings, polymer membranes, and backing polymers.
- Experience formulating and developing coating systems, including one component waterborne formulations.
- Good understanding and experience in verification methods (microscope, SEM, XPS etc.)
- Start-up line experience preferred.
- Able to travel (< 20%) as needed.
- Excellent analytical and experimental skills.
Other competencies and personal skills
- Strong communications and teamwork skills, with all levels
- Critical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Excellent leadership skills
- High ethical standards
- Results driven with demonstrated follow through
- Sound judgement
- Nel will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided.
- Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal opportunity employer
Nel is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.