Are you passionate about the energy transition? Join us.
Nel is a global, dedicated hydrogen company, delivering optimal solutions to produce, store, and distribute hydrogen from renewable energy. We serve a range of different customers with leading hydrogen technologies. Our roots date back to 1927, and since then, we have had a proud history of development and continuous improvement of hydrogen technologies. Today, our solutions cover the entire value chain: from hydrogen production technologies to hydrogen fueling stations, enabling industries to transition to green hydrogen, and providing fuel cell electric vehicles with the same fast fueling and long range as fossil-fueled vehicles – without the emissions.
About the position
If you are driven by personal initiative combined with loyalty and commitment to your team and the ability to convert complex issues into simple solutions, then we want to talk to you. Help make the world a better place. Join a company that is on the cutting edge of new energy innovations, with an energized, progressive culture.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Serve as the Process Owner for the ISO 45001 compliant OH&S Management System at Nel Hydrogen US
- Serve as the Responsible Manager for Safety related Internal Corrective Actions
- Represent the Nel Hydrogen US OMS when engaged by internal auditors, external auditors, or interested parties such as consultants and customers
- Manage the OMS Risks & Opportunities Log by adding and prioritizing items then preparing key risks and opportunities for inclusion in the Management Review in accordance with the established process
- Arrange for third party compliance audits to confirm obligations and understand business unit’s level of compliance with respect to obligations
- Ensure the safety of workers in various roles through the development and utilization of the OMS Hazard Identification and Assessment log
- Manage the OMS Actions Items log by adding, prioritizing, statusing, and ensuring completion of the activities which were identified in the Hazards and Assessments Log, or from other sources such as Management Reviews, audits, or Corrective Actions
- Track Nel Hydrogen US safety KPIs to be maintained monthly and reported quarterly
- Manage noise monitoring program by ensuring routine noise evaluations and appropriate dosimetry tests using procedures and forms Manage Area/Job hazard analysis program
- Track OHSA recordable and list time incidents for monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting
- Collaborate with the Emergency Response Coordinator to arrange, execute, document, and learn from, drills such as general evacuation or acid burn protocols
- Lead efforts to modernize and synchronize existing OH&S internal work instructions so that they remain current with OHSA requirements
- Ensure the prioritized and steady administration of safety training to factory workers as well as other support staff by utilizing the training backlog (queue) as a scheduling and prioritization tool
- Adequately supplement independent study training assignments for employees by executing classroom or practical training for applicable OH&S topics
- Ensure the digitization and upload of any paper classroom training attendance sheets into the online learning management system
- Follow up with individuals and supervisors that have not successfully completed training within the assigned period and ensure their success
- Review and provide feedback to instruction authors regarding proposed training plans prior to signing CRPs as an approver
- Provide backup and support to the Environmental Compliance Manager
- Consult regarding DEEP permitting and reporting associated with regulated waste streams
- Oversee the administration of independent study training for QHSE topics by issuing online training assignments
- Review OH&S content within M Series project contracts, identify gaps and propose solutions to the M Series Projects and Service teams
- Assist the M Series Projects and Service teams in the development of customer/project specific site safety plans
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with OSHA
- ISO 45001 experience
- Problem, containment, root cause analysis, and corrective action (8D)
- Audit experience
- Noise monitoring technology
- Hazard analysis process experience
- CRP Process
- OSHA Rules and Regulations
- Wastewater and stormwater spill prevention
- DEEP permitting and reporting
Other competencies and personal skills
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Business ethics
- Thrives in start-up environment
- Creates structure
- Nel will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided.
- Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal opportunity employer
Nel is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.