We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Product Safety Engineer to join our organization. This role requires a familiarity with regulatory processes, including codes and standards review, verification and certification to support product development and improvements. As our new Product Safety Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting internal and external risk assessment activities. This position is based in Wallingford, CT.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Interpret product safety standards and regulatory requirements in a product design and development environment to ensure the resultant products are safe, and code & standards compliant.
- Advise product engineers on compliance options and impact of design decisions.
- Maintain engineering documentation to support technical file management.
- Support NRTL & Notified Body testing and audits for new products and existing product changes
- Support internal and external risk assessment activities such as HAZOP and FMEA
- Perform detailed evaluations related to safety and compliance related tasks, to include hazardous area evaluations, intrinsic safety evaluations, SIL assignment and verification for functional safety, etc.
- 3-7 years’ experience in product development
- Hydrogen, Oil & Gas, gas/liquid systems preferred.
- Focus in product safety, code compliance
- Experience with stage-gate or other requirements-based product development
- Experience with risks assessment such as HAZOPs, PHAs, DFMEAs and/or PFMEAs.
- Experience with specific safety processes/requirements such as pressure safety, electrical safety, etc.; prefer to also have functional safety (SIS, SIF, SIL, SRS, SRT) and hazardous areas experience (IEC60079)
- Familiarity with regulatory processes, including codes and standards review, verification and certification.
- ISO and IEC, CE, CSA, NFPA, ASME
- Understanding complex systems, electromechanical devices is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal (reports, presentations, etc.)
- Ability to manage priorities and self-manage tasks to complete on time and without undue oversight.
- Capability of working well in a multi-disciplinary team environment with high degree of collaboration.
Personal Characteristics and Competencies:
- Risk Management
- Attention to Detail/Accuracy
- Problem Solving and Troubleshooting Skills
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
The above statements reflect the principal functions of the position and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
What we can offer
- An opportunity to work in a company in strong growth and a leading position in the market.
- A visible role with many exciting interfaces, internally and externally
- The opportunity to work in a global company that contributes to the green transition.
- A dynamic and highly professional working environment consisting of competent and committed colleagues.
Nel Hydrogen provides comprehensive health and insurance benefits for its employees as well as a short-term incentive program. The Company offers competitive paid vacation time, sick leave, and holidays.
The Company has a published Code of Conduct that all employees are expected to follow.
- Nel will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided.
- Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer M/F/Disabled/Veteran and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws: FederalEnglish.pdf)